From time to time Avastar provides new versions to keep up to date with Second Life and Blender. We assume that you also want to keep up to date and update your Avastar installation too.
However the implementation of the Avastar Rig itself also changes over time. This article describes what you need to do to get your Avastar updated and work with your “old” rigs in the new environment.
Update the Avastar Blender Addon
Updating Avastar is as simple as:
- Download the newest Avastar version
- Update Blender to the most current release
when the update fails - read more...
When you update an Add-on in Blender, then normally the following steps are performed:
- The installer disables the current version of the Add-on.
- The disabled Add-on is removed from the system (deleted from disk),
- The new Add-on version is installed.
- You now can enable the new version manually
However sometimes the first step (disabling the Add-on) does not disable all of the software. So it may happen that the old Add-on leaves some traces which may result in subsequent errors when the new version is enabled in step 4.
When the above situation happens to you, then please go ahead as follows:
Step 0: Remove traces
- Save Preferences at the bottom of the User Preferences Panel
- Then close Blender
Note: It is important that you really close blender.
Just opening a new scene is not enough!
- Open Blender and open the User preferences again
- Type “Avastar” into the Add-on search field to locate your Add-on
- Then Enable the Add-on
In most cases this is all that you need to do. The Add-on will enable without errors.
If the above procedure does not work for you, then you need to put blender into a clean state as follows:
Step 1: Remove Avastar
Step 2: Save User Settings
Step 3: Restart Blender and Install the new Avastar Add-on
Go ahead by installing your Add-on:
Downloading older Versions of the Addon
If you have an account on the Machinimatrix website, then you can find most of the older Add-on versions in the Archive folder
Update your Models
Whenever you create an Avastar in a scene, then a fresh character is created with its own meshes and its own Armature. So, when you upgrade to a newer version of Avastar, then the Rig is not upgraded automatically. This may result in compatibility issues.
We have included the Rig Upgrade Tool into Avastar. This Tool will take your Avastar model and migrates the Armature to the newest Avastar version in place. Below you find the Tool Help Page.
The Rig Transfer Tool
The Rig Converter is used for upgrading the rig to a newer version or for switching a rig from Classic to Bento. However this tool is mostly used for keeping your Rigs up to date. The tool is located in the Rig Converter Panel. It shows up when you active Object is an Armature. Depending on the Armature type the panel may have different looks. Following scenarios are supported
The Transfer scenarios
- Update your older Avastar projects to use the newest Avastar version.
- Convert a project that was made for the simple SL Rig (like for example the Avatar Workbench or avatar.blend)
- Import Developerkits (SDK’s) which are delivered as Collada files
- Copy Information From one Rig to another
Preparations before updating a rig
Before you use the update tool, we recommend that you take care about the following things:
- Always(!) make a backup of your blendfile
- Make sure your rig is in restpose
- Make sure your active action has no keyframes
- Always first try to not use the snowflake icon. Only when your rig deforms during the update, press CTRL-Z and try again with the snow flake icon enabled
- If ever possible set the sliders to white stickman mode before you do the update
If you can not set your rig as recommedned above, then you might need to do this:
- Downgrade Avastar back to your previous version
- set the rig according to the recommendations:
- set the rig to restpose
- empty the active action
- set the sliders to the white stickman mode
- Store the blend file
- Update Avastar to the newer release
- Do the Rig update
If this still fails, then please talk to us.